Saturday 15 October 2011

Filtration....



Today I thought I would go out and try out my new ND filter.  I spent ages trying to find something to shoot on google maps, and eventually I found this.  This is the structure of a footbridge in Merchants Quay.  It was a bit of a trek to get there, I went past it, got lost, then found it!

Anyway, this new filter is a 10 stop Neutral Density filter.  This means that it reduces the amount of light hitting the sensor/film by 10 stops; so if you were trying to photograph a tree, and the shutter speed for a correctly exposed image was 1/100sec.  The filter reduces this time by 10 stops, so the new exposure time would be 1/10.

I also had an ND 8 and 2 ND4 filters stacked on top of the ND110 (10 stop filter).  This gave me a 17 stop reduction in shutter speed!  So with that said, would it surprise you that the image above was taken at 2 O'Clock today, in bright sunshine, with a 8 minute exposure!  I'm going to have a lot of fun with this filter!

Enjoy

G

No comments:

Post a Comment